Saturday, June 11, 2011

Marc's Travel Tales!


Hi all.

It is my first post on the blog.

I have been here in Edinburgh studying veterinary medicine at the Royal (Dick) School of Veterinary Studies at the University of Edinburgh. Studying my butt off! Normally I spend a lot of time near exams studying in the library (see picture of generally what happens when the body is cut). In addition, all veterinary students are required by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons to perform 12 weeks of animal husbandry on farms (1 week pig, 1 week poultry, 1 week cats and dogs, 1 week small mammals, 2 weeks dairy, 2 weeks lambing/sheep, 2 weeks horses, and 2 weeks free choice).

I recently finished 1 week working on a poultry farm. I choose an organic free range laying hen farm for my studies. The farm I was at was called Bonnington Farms. It was really nice. They have 3 hen houses with a total of roughly 6000 hens. The farm is part of the soil association organic certification scheme, which is the highest form of organic and animal welfare scheme (there are 5 levels in the UK). The hens were quiet happy! And very curious! They would come up to you to see what you were doing (see the picture of them looking at me on the fence).
The farm also raises organic beef and sheep/lambs. Look at the amazing pictures of real happy cows and happy hens!
The hens are so happy they didn't want to see us leave (they were chasing after us)!


I recommend this farm to anyone who needs work experiences for veterinary studies and anyone looking for purchasing humane eggs/meat. You can find their eggs either in the expensive supermarket Waitrose (under the brand name Dutchy Eggs) or if you want to support them directly, purchase their eggs at the Edinburgh Farmer's Market.

Mandy and I are planning awesome fun things to do this summer in between my farm work. We'll keep you updated!

No comments:

Post a Comment