Thursday, January 27, 2011

Necropsy

So, I don't get much time off here. Which is perfectly fine; I am here to work and learn, and they don't hesitate to give me the time off I do ask for. And being the nerd I am, I spend my days off watching necropsies.

It is amazing to see the physical manifestation of the problems distressing the seals; the main problem the seals come in with are lungworms. The parasites burrow in the lungs and trachea, creating holes that allow air to escape from the lungs and into surrounding tissue. This creates massive air bubbles surrounding the heart and into the neck; literally the size of a softball in a 15 kg seal.

Although extremely interesting, I think the pics of the necropsy would be disrespectful to post online, so instead here are more happy baby seals:






2 comments: